This recipe came about when I was on a low-carb diet. I believe the original was from a Suzanne Somers message board. I think it was without beans since that was the carb that I was staying away from. I love this chili recipe because it is is full of vegetables and is oh so delicious!
Traffic Light Chili Recipe
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 4-6 hours in crock pot
- Yield: Serves 6-10
- Turkey or lean ground beef
- 1-28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1-15oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1-15oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1-4oz can of diced chili peppers
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large red pepper chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbs.chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
* I have also added orange pepper and even extra peppers. I’ve made this without beans and with extra beans.
- Put crushed tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, chili peppers, and seasonings to crock pot.
- Brown the meat and add to crock pot.
- Saute peppers, garlic and onion until soft then add to crock pot.
- Simmer in crock pot until ready to serve.
- Top with your favorite chili topping like sour cream, cheese, or hot sauce to name a few.